Senior Tax Accountant
Work Location: Denver, CO (Downtown)
Reports To: CFO
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
About Crimson Renewable Energy
Crimson Renewable Energy and its subsidiary SeQuential Biodiesel are producers of renewable transportation fuels; specifically, we are the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers ranging from major oil companies such as Chevron, Valero, and Philips 66 to truck stop operators such as Pilot Flying J and Love’s count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel.
Additionally, Crimson’s subsidiary SeQuential Environmental Services is one of the largest providers of used cooking oil and interceptor collection services in the Pacific Northwest and California.
Since commencing biodiesel production in Oregon in 2007 and in California in late 2011, Crimson and its SeQuential Biodiesel subsidiary have grown to become market leaders in the California and Oregon alternative fuels market, which combined represent the largest market for biodiesel in the United States. Our mission is to build a better energy model by making responsible, local, bioproducts.
Crimson has consistently grown revenue and profitability since startup, experiencing record revenue in 2018 of ~ $150 million and is projecting significant growth for 2019-2021. Crimson currently employs over 250 people, and is a privately owned, closely-held company. Throughout its growth trajectory, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational and back-office execution and managing the myriad market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
As part of the Finance and Accounting Team, this position supports the business by ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local tax regulations. The Senior Tax Accountant prepares tax forms and legal filings in a timely fashion, provides tax research and strategy direction, and facilitates tactical account analysis and reconciliation for multiple companies within Crimson. The Senior Tax Accountant will be responsible for accurate and correct tax filings and for timely submission of all filings. The Senior Tax Accountant will also create and implement tax plans, working alongside executive leadership to identify process improvement opportunities as well as potential areas of risk.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare federal, state, and local income tax schedules and coordinate efforts with external accounting firms
- Prepare multi-state and county sales and use, motor fuel excise, property, and other indirect tax filings.
- Perform research on pertinent federal, state, and local taxation issues as needed
- Recommend tax strategies to executive leadership.
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvement in company tax procedures
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation
- Identify profitability of potential transactions by analyzing tax information, calculating key ratios, and identifying areas of tax savings
- Coordinate tax appeal and protest efforts with outside firms to minimize tax liability
- Perform pre-acquisition due diligence analysis in tax-related areas
- Complete business license filings and annual state reports
- Perform account analysis and reconciliation for tax liability accounts
- Prepare tax-based fixed asset schedules and depreciation
- Develop procedures for streamlining current tax practices and worksheets for the calculation of tax positions
- Responsible for research and response to audit requests within scope of responsibilities
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned in various areas of Accounting, Finance, and Legal
- Complete special projects/assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills
- A strong leader who is adept at driving change by identifying and implementing process improvement and automation
- Detail oriented with solid analytical, financial reporting, and accounting experience
- Ability to develop rapport with co-workers and operating personnel.
- Ability to multi-task under stringent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Proactive and forward-thinking.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
- QuickBooks and/or SyteLine ERP experience a plus.
Education and Basic Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business from an accredited college or university.
- CPA and/or Master of Tax strongly preferred.
- 5+ years progressive experience in the areas of tax and accounting.
- Ability to pass drug and alcohol pre-employment and ongoing screening
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to convey a broad array of information succinctly and accurately
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be an effective communicator; ability to remain poised and intelligible while managing time pressured demands
- Schedule flexibility and ability to work long contingent hours as needed
- Interface effectively with all levels of the organization
- Results oriented information seeker who is motivated to achieve and perform at a high level
- Competitive; commensurate with experience and education
- Participation in aggressive performance-based annual bonuses
- Full benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, 401k matching plan, life and supplemental disability insurance, and paid vacation, holidays and sick time
Contact for Qualified Candidates
For qualified candidates, please email resume to Careers@CrimsonRenewable.com. Please use as subject heading “Senior Tax Accountant”