Vice President of Human Resources
Work Location: Portland, Oregon
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: 5-10 Direct Reports
About Crimson Renewable Energy
Crimson Renewable Energy and its subsidiary SeQuential Biodiesel are producers of renewable transportation fuels; specifically, we are the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers ranging from major oil companies such as Chevron, Valero, and Philips 66 to truck stop operators such as Pilot Flying J and Love’s count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel.
Additionally, Crimson’s subsidiary SeQuential Environmental Services is one of the largest providers of used cooking oil and interceptor collection services in the Pacific Northwest and California.
Since commencing biodiesel production in Oregon in 2007 and in California in late 2011, Crimson and its SeQuential Biodiesel subsidiary have grown to become market leaders in the California and Oregon alternative fuels market, which combined represent the largest market for biodiesel in the United States. Our mission is to build a better energy model by making responsible, local, bioproducts.
Crimson has consistently grown revenue and profitability since startup, experiencing record revenue in 2018 of ~ $150 million and is projecting significant growth for 2019-2021. Crimson currently employs over 250 people, and is a privately owned, closely-held company. Throughout its growth trajectory, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational and back-office execution and managing the myriad market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
Crimson is looking for a Vice President of Human Resources (VP of HR) to play a key role in consolidating newly acquired subsidiaries, improving the HR group’s effectiveness and efficiency, and driving the company’s continued growth. We are seeking a talented and experienced VP of HR who has been on leadership teams of growth stage companies with a track record of HR success. The VP of HR is a member of Crimson’s senior leadership team and is responsible for extensive strategic planning, cultural architecting, wellness and safety, and for the administration and evaluation of the entire human resource function. The VP of HR determines and directs the company’s staffing goals and strategies to support productive and profitable operations. This role develops and drives organizational effectiveness and supports the C-level team on all major initiatives. This should be accomplished by way of a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the values and objectives of the company.
Crimson is at a critical juncture in its corporate life cycle. We are seeking a Vice President of Human Resources that relishes this growth stage of a company’s evolution and has proven their ability to be a true impact player and a dynamic leader in analogous situations. The VP of HR will take great pride in helping grow enterprise value, completing operational and strategic initiatives, and achievement of the Company’s mission to build a better energy model by making responsible, local, bioproducts. This role will be based in our Portland office with regular travel to visit Company operations. The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self-confident, and collaborative leader who is a strong communicator and has the skill, experience, and appetite to work with the senior leadership team to analyze and act on opportunities for growth, and to assess and drive changes as needed in personnel, processes, and systems in order for Crimson to achieve its strategic and annual objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Work as a trusted, confidential strategic partner to the CEO, CFO, and COO as it may relate to corporate objectives and the performance, development and composition of the senior-leadership and broader management teams
- Continually conduct comprehensive strategic planning to anticipate and develop plans for business cycles, e.g. ‘growth, stabilize or steady’ modes, and for disruptive events, e.g. mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and market ups/downs
- Serve as an active and engaged member of our senior leadership team. Participate with the senior leadership team in building and executing comprehensive annual operating plans (AOPs)
- Mold and guide the company culture such that Crimson is perceived as a great place to work, and as an “employer of choice.” This can be accomplished in part by continued employee development and education, ensuring career mobility, maintaining a robust wellness program, fostering a sense of belonging, and actively managing safety.
- Oversee the Core Values Advisory Committee (CVAC). Organize and plan annual CVAC offsite retreat.
- Represent, in a lead role, Crimson in the instances of any employment-related legal matters, including lawsuits, BOLI investigations, NLRB issues, etc.
- Administer all employee benefit plans and Workers Comp and EPL policies—including policy negotiations, setups, renewals, etc.
- Produce and distribute comprehensive monthly HR dashboards and slides to senior leadership team
Recruitment and Development
- Oversee talent acquisition/management and succession planning, striving for good “bench depth” and low attrition within all position stratums—senior leadership to frontline. Crimson employs close to 100 drivers, and from an industry perspective this is a high turnover role, and there is a national driver shortage, so a robust driver acquisition and retention strategy is essential.
- Leadership role for the company’s performance management system and process. Ensure alignment between performance management and defined strategic and operating goals and metrics. Adjust as needed and administer employee performance reviews, and employee performance management processes.
- Oversee employee compensation. Conduct periodic pay and benefit benchmarks, and advise Crimson’s CEO, CFO, and COO and Compensation Committee of strategy and positional recommendations
- Develop and implement all policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and best practices relating to the HR function, such as employee onboarding and integration, Wage and Hour, etc. Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation, and ensure all employees comply with Federal, State, local and DOT laws
- Design, build, evaluate and participate in companywide employee development initiatives, education and training. Travel among Crimson’s locations to stay in touch with the frontline, and to foster a culture of execution
- Develop, oversee and continually iterate upon a robust company wellness platform that contributes to bettering employee health, boosting morale, and lowering medical insurance premiums. Plan and sponsor wellness events throughout the calendar year
- Administrate the Company’s 401K plans, and act as a plan fiduciary. Seek =>80% employee participation
Health and Safety
- Directly manage the Environmental Health and Safety Manager, and administer the programmatic aspects of companywide safety: OSHA compliance, accident prevention plans, safety meetings, etc.
Internal Corporate Communications
- Oversee development and delivery of company-wide communications, including regular Town Hall meetings and communicating new corporate initiatives, annual strategic plans, benefit enrollment or changes, etc.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills
- Strategic planning
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency
- Ethical Conduct
- Performance Management
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Problem Solving/ Analysis
- Technical Capacity
Education and Basic Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 15 to 20 years of related experience and or training
- 8 to 10 years of experience in a senior HR role
- Experience working for geographically-dispersed companies with at least 200 employees
- Experience with union avoidance
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication; English literacy (multilingual applicants encouraged to apply)
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge/application of MS Office
- An approachable personality with an even temperament and a strong appreciation for people at all levels in the organization
- A clearly evident capability built upon a long track record of integrity and professionalism that inspires trust and confidence from the senior leadership team, staff, business partners, and shareholders; ethics are never compromised
- An ability to deliver under pressure and manage competing demands on one’s time
- An ability and willingness to raise issues and drive resolution on topics, popular or unpopular, in the best interests of the company
- A demonstrated, detail oriented and principles first approach to problem solving rather than reliance on industry heuristics. An ability to explain those principles to others
- A willingness to prioritize building a cohesive company & culture over individual functional success
Preferred Other Education and Experience
- SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, SPHR or PHR credential
- Experience in Manufacturing, Service and Logistics industries is a plus
- M&A experience
- Highly competitive; commensurate with experience and education
- Strong performance-based annual bonus
- Potential future participation in long term incentive plan (similar to an equity incentive plan)
- Full benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, 401k matching plan, life and supplemental disability insurance, and paid time off
Contact for Qualified Candidates
For qualified candidates, please email resume to Careers@CrimsonRenewable.com. Please use as subject heading “VP of HR”